Date Night doesn't have to involve leaving the house.
Date night is important for so many reasons. It is especially vital for keeping the spark alive in long-term relationships. It builds attachment, increases feelings of intimacy, and fosters healthy communication. Setting aside alone time for each other can be one of the best things you can do for your relationship. It allows you to connect on a deeper level without the distraction of everyday responsibilities and technology. Consider putting the phones away and giving your partner all of the love and attention they deserve. Keep in mind that it is also healthy to schedule some time for yourself and give each other breaks from constantly being together.
But how can you do date night amid COVID-19 when bars and restaurants are closed, and events are canceled? Here are some creative ideas to help keep the flame alive.
1. Scavenger Hunt – Provide a map and clues for your partner to find a special item or message.
2. Candlelight Take-out – Order your favorite takeout and eat by candlelight (after taking hours to decide on a place)
3. Guess That Food – Do you trust your partner? Take turns blindfolding each other and having your partner guess what food you’re feeding them.
4. Living Room Fort – Build a cozy fort in the living room together with blankets, put up some cozy lights, and camp out for the night.
5. Horror Night - Cuddle up and hold onto each other as you listen to a thrilling crime story, horror podcast, or murder mystery.
6. Backyard Camping – Pitch a tent in the backyard, enjoy some snacks around a campfire, and spend the night outside with each other.
7. Virtual Travel – Pull up Google Maps and “take a trip” to anywhere in the world, or through a virtual museum.
8. Video Game Tournament – Stay up late competing and playing your favorite multiplayer video games.
9. Make Cocktails – Meet in the kitchen for some fancy drink making and appetizers.
10. Fancy Dinner – Dress up in formal wear and meet your partner in the kitchen for dinner.
11. Stargazing – Head outside on a clear night and find a nice spot to watch the stars with each other.
12. Have a picnic – find a nice spot outside and lay out a blanket for a romantic picnic.
13. Gourmet Meal – Find a delicious new recipe and create a meal together.
14. Late Night Drives – Crank up the music and go for a nice drive to nowhere.
15. Finger Foods – Have a dinner with all “finger foods" and feed each other.
16. Karaoke Night – Find songs with lyrics on YouTube and take turns singing your heart out.
17. Question Game – Take turns asking and honestly answering questions with each other.
18. Goal Planning – Talk about exciting dreams and goals for the future and how to achieve them together.
19. Comedy Night – Laugh together while watching your favorite stand-up comedian specials.
20. Garden Date – Roll up your sleeves and spend some time outside planting flowers, herb, or your favorite vegetables. As your plants grow, it’ll remind you of the time you spent planting them together.
21. Read a Book Out Loud
22. Binge Watch a Season of Your Favorite Show
23. Homemade Pizza Night
24. Bubble Bath for Two
25. Make a Bucket List
26. Give Each Other Massages
27. Play Never Have I Ever
28. Solve a Puzzle
29. Watch the Sunset or Sunrise
30. Movie & Popcorn Night
31. Put Together a Photo Album
32. Make a Craft Together
33. Wine Tasting for Two
34. Make Your Own Sushi
35. DIY Spa Night
36. Watch a Concert on YouTube
37. Make Ice Cream Sundaes
38. Make Tie Dye T-Shirts
39. Couples Yoga
40. Workout Together
41. Board Game Night
42. Make Fondue
43. Slow Dance
44. Foot Rubs
45. Hide & Seek in the Dark
46. DIY Wine & Paint Night
47. Plan Your Next Getaway
48. Have a Cooking Competition
49. Go for a Nature Walk
50. Breakfast in Bed (for dinner!)